Monday, December 10, 2012

Beautifyin' the Old Face

This post originally appeared on my Tumblr on November 29, 2012.


I have like an hour and a half until I need to be at Art History club and I’m bored, so I thought I’d write something about the makeup I use and how much it costs. I’m a huge huge fan of Stuff I Put On Myself  and I wanted to do something along the same lines. So here we go!

CHEAP: These are things you could buy, use once, lose, and be like, have lost a dollar over it. I am a huge fan of New York Color nail polish, it doesn’t chip off immediately like most 99 cent polishes, and they have some really cute colors. I basically go to the New York Color stand in Sears when I want to stock up on super super cheap basics. You get eyeliner for like, $2, and liquid foundation for $3, and they have a pretty good variety. The eyeliner can be a little smudgy, and if you aren’t careful you’ll look like Billie Joe Armstrong circa 2005, but maybe that’s the look you were going for anyway.

Now that it’s winter, you should be stocking up on lip balm. They sell those little yellow cocoa butter lip balms at every single CVS and Walgreens on the planet, and I would recommend you spend the dollar or dollar fifty and keep your lips smoothy smooth. Even if you’re not kissing anyone, you want nice smooth lips so that you won’t do what I always do and bite the little bits of dry skin off and then they bleed and then you look like something out of 28 Days Later with all that bloody crust everywhere. Ew. 

Additionally, if you’re at Wal-Mart, which, let’s face it, is basically my second home, or a big box store, get your basic facial cleansers and astringents and stuff there. Unless you have a certain brand that you’re unshakably loyal to, there’s not going to be much of a difference, since the ingredients are the same anyway. 

MEDIUM-PRICE: These are things that won’t break your bank, but you prefer to be selective about since they do cost a bit more and you can’t buy 400 at a time. I would count most things from Lush in this category. I have an intense need to buy something every time I go in there. The Grease Lightning acne gel works really well for me, and it goes for about nine dollars. It’s lasted me a really long time, though I will say I’m pretty conservative with face products and I tend to get a lot of use out of them. The lip colors are also priced a little higher but they’re colored balms, so they soothe your lips and also give your mouth a nice pop. Also, the It Started With a Kiss, which is on my face right this moment, apparently also doubles as a cheek color. The more you know!

I would also count my OPI nail polishes in the middle-range category. They’re about nine bucks, but the colors are constantly shifting and the themes are always really cool. They’ve done Spider-Man and Pirates of the Caribbean, and earlier this month they were doing Skyfall, which made me pee my pants (not true) and buy the mini-set (true). As far as actual wear, they aren’t the most industrial-strength polish I have, but they’re pretty good.

Finally, you have to have your Maybelline mascara. It’s the pink one with the green twist cap that every single girl ever has had at some point. There’s a reason that it’s so popular, and that reason is that it does exactly what it needs to and doesn’t flake off like some kind of sinister black snow. You can usually find it at around $6.

EXPENSIVE: This is the stuff to get if you’re really treating yourself, or that you would ask for for Christmas/birthday. The first thing that jumps to mind is mySugar Advanced Therapy lip treatment. It is $25 for one, but it saves my lips time and time again. It also smells like a delicate lemony sugar vanilla cookie. I try to use it sparingly since it costs so much, but I really love it.

I also really like my Smashbox Be Legendary lipstick. That’s $19, and it has a nice velvety feeling and the colors are really striking. I have Melondrama, when I want to wear something kind of coral-ly. My grandma got it for me while she was in the middle of this giant Sephora shopping spree, and you don’t argue with my grandma when she is insisting you pick out a lipstick this goddamn minute.

Finally, I discovered Soap & Glory’s Dr. Spot, which you just dab on any red angry zit that feels like popping up, and it calms it and makes it less hurty and angry. It has a REALLY strong spicy/cinnamon kind of smell, or maybe it’s just strong to me since I’m putting it on or around my nose. Either way, it works so nicely and is worth the $18.

OKAY so I think that’s all, so tell me—what do you like to use? What do you recommend to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment